20200522 - Update: Cancellations and Nonrenewals Due to COVID-19 - Public
Publicador de contenidos
Update: Cancellations and Nonrenewals Due to COVID-19
May 22, 2020
To ease the burden for our policyholders due to the impact of the COVID-19 health risk, Citizens stopped processing all policy cancellations and nonrenewals in March until further notice.
Citizens is determining when to start processing cancellations and nonrenewals. In the meantime, below are ways that agents can assist in easing the burden for their customers – with help from Citizens. Details are below.
Past-Due Payments for Direct-Billed Policies
- Citizens continues to send a letter biweekly to the policyholders for whom we most recently have suspended cancellations due to nonpayment.
- Citizens will email agents a list of their customers who currently have a past-due premium by early June.
Once Citizens determines the date to restart the processing of cancellations due to nonpayment, we will email affected agents an updated list of their past-due customers. We’ll also mail policyholders another letter with relevant payment information at least 21 days in advance of their new payment due date.
- An email identical to the letter will be sent to policyholders who have an email address on file.
- Letters are uploaded to the Documents section within two weeks of the letter date.
Note: Citizens is unable to accept premium payments via credit cards; however, agencies can accept credit card payments if they choose. For more information, refer to the September 12, 2018, Agent Updates bulletin.
If a policyholder with past-due premium wants to cancel their policy, they or their agent must contact Citizens using one of the following methods:
- Agents can cancel the policy in PolicyCenter®.
- The policyholder can call our Customer Care Center, 866.411.2742, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET.
- The policyholder can use our Contact Us webpage.
Agents are encouraged to submit required documents now if they are available.
Note: Refer to the May 6, Personal Lines bulletin for more information about social-distanced 4-point property inspections.
Stay tuned for more information.
- Agent Updates bulletin dated April 3
- Talking Points: Citizens’ Response to the Coronavirus Health Risk, FAQ 4170. Log in to the Agents website, and select FAQs.
Citizens will continue to post information about our response to COVID-19 on our website and social media.
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.