Citizens requires a sinkhole inspection for home and business owners seeking optional Sinkhole Loss coverage* who meet either of the following criteria:
- Answers Yes to any of the application’s sinkhole-related questions on the Sinkhole Loss Coverage Renewal Endorsement Request form
- Property is located in the following counties:
Adding Sinkhole Coverage to Your Policy
Contact your agent to request Sinkhole Loss coverage. When an inspection is required, Sinkhole Loss coverage will not be issued until the inspection has been conducted and Citizens reviews and approves the inspections results.
Because sinkhole Loss coverage may not be added after a policy term has begun, policyholders who want to add this coverage at renewal are encouraged to inform their agent as soon as possible prior to their policy renewal.
Once the sinkhole inspection has been performed, the inspection company will provide Citizens and you with a copy of the report. Citizens will review the inspection findings and determine whether the property is eligible for Sinkhole Loss coverage. In most cases, you will receive a decision within 45 days of the date the inspection was ordered.
*Coverage for Catastrophic Ground Cover Collapse is included in certain Citizens policies; however, coverage for gradual subsidence sinkhole damage is optional for most policy types. Consult your policy documents for details about the specific coverage available under your policy.
Sinkhole inspections must be performed by a Citizens-approved inspection company. When a sinkhole inspection is required, Citizens will order the inspection.
- You will be responsible for paying half of the inspection fee. Citizens will pay the other half.
- You will pay your half of the inspection fee directly to the inspection company. Payments for sinkhole inspections are nonrefundable, regardless of whether sinkhole coverage is approved or declined.
- Following the inspection, both you and Citizens will receive a copy of the inspection.