20231127 - 2024 Personal Lines Rate Cap Change - Public
Web Content Display (Global)
For Personal Lines policies that are subject to Citizens’ glide path, the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) has approved changes that may result in an increase to the statutory maximum allowable individual rate change cap (“glide path”).
Per Florida law, Citizens’ annual base rates cannot increase by more than 13% for new and renewal policies effective on or after February 1, 2024, excluding:
- Coverage changes
- Mitigation adjustments
- Sinkhole loss coverage
- Surcharges and assessments
- A required rapid cash-build-up provision for the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund (FHCF) if applicable.
This capping factor change is separate from the rate increase announced on November 6.
- As a result of Senate Bill 76, Citizens began increasing the capped glide path on rate increases by 1% annually until the cap reaches 15% in 2026.
- The rate cap applies to policies insuring a primary residence. Policies that insure a non-primary residence will receive a higher capping factor.
Log in to the Agents website, select Personal > PR-M or PR-W, and:
- Look under the Spotlight section on the right side of the page to access the Rate Changes by Territory charts.
- Select one of the specific policy forms on the page to access the Rating Worksheets via the center menu.
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.