20220801 - 2022 Rates, Rules and Factor Changes - Public
Web Content Display (Global)
2022 Rates, Rules and Factor Changes
August 01, 2022
The Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) approved updates to Citizens’ rates and rules, which apply to new and renewal policies with effective dates on or after November 1, 2022. The updates are outlined below.
Rate Changes (All Types)
The rate changes vary by line, product type and territory. Individual rate changes are currently subject to an 11% cap, excluding coverage changes, mitigation adjustments, rate changes for sinkhole loss coverage, assessments and surcharges, as well as a required rapid cash build-up provision for the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, if applicable.
Note: As a result of Senate Bill 76, Citizens began increasing the capped "glide path" on rate increases by 1% annually, starting in 2022 until the cap reaches 15% in 2026.
To see the Rate Changes by Territory chart, log in to the Agents website, go to the Personal section, click on PR-M or PR-W on the left side of the page and look for the chart under the Spotlight section on the right side of the page.
Changes to WLM Rating Tables
Based on updates to the Florida Building Code (FBC), effective November 1, 2022, Citizens will make additional rule changes to the wind-loss mitigation (WLM) rating tables for new and renewal dwelling policies for structures built in 2002 and later under the following policy types:
- Dwelling Property 1 – Basic Form (CIT DP-1 Dwelling)
- Dwelling Property 3 – Special Form (CIT DP-3 Dwelling)
- Dwelling Property 2 – Wind-Only Form (DW-2)
The following options for Roof Wall Connection and FBC Wind Speed have been updated for one-to-four-unit dwellings. Agents must select a Roof Wall Connection value, regardless of the year built.
Figure 1: Roof Wall Connection drop-down menu option
- FBC Wind Speed options are changed to the following for risks built 2012 and later, except for Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
- For risks built 2002 through 2011, Terrain B options also apply to Terrain C, except for Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
- For risks located in Miami-Dade and Broward counties and built 2002 and later, FBC Wind Speed is rated HVHZ.
Figure 2: FBC Wind Speed drop-down menu option
Changes to WLM Factors
Effective November 1, 2022, adjustments to the wind mitigation credit structure will be updated for dwelling policies (DP1-D, DP3-D, DW-2) on structures regardless of the age of the home.
Note: Citizens announced changes to the homeowner policies on June 30, 2021, for Personal Lines.
These updates may show an adjustment to mitigation credits; however, premiums may be impacted by other factors, such as coverage changes and inflation. A policyholder experiencing a rate increase plus reduced mitigation credits will not get more than an 11% rate increase for 2022. Agents will need to review available documentation with their policyholders to ensure eligible WLM discounts are properly applied.
Agents can use the Applied Technology Council’s Hazard by Location website to determine wind speeds for WLM discounts. Log in to the Agents website to see FAQ 4294 for step-by-step directions.
Log in to the Agents site, go to the Personal section, click on PR-M or PR-W on the left side of the page, then choose the specific policy type on the right side for the Rating Steps and Factors manuals, which are in the center column.
- Log in to the Agents site and select Training > Personal Job Aids > Clearinghouse > Wind Mitigation Feature Help Chart. The chart will be updated effective September 1, 2022.
- Personal Lines Bulletin: 2021 Rate and Factor Changes dated June 11, 2021
- Personal Lines Bulletin: 2021 WLM Changes for New Business dated June 30, 2021
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.