20221215 - Roof Coatings Clarification - Public
Publicador de contenidos
Roof Coatings Clarification
December 15, 2022
In response to questions about roof coatings and sealants used with the intent to repair and/or extend a roof covering’s useful life, Citizens would like to provide the following information to assist agents with determining roof insurability under our underwriting rules.
When a roof replacement is required, and a coating or sealant is used in lieu of roof replacement, the risk remains ineligible for coverage with Citizens. Use of such materials does not constitute a roof replacement. See the following for further specifics.
Roof Coatings and Sealants
For new and renewal business, where a sealant or coating has been applied to the roof, Underwriting will review the risk, including age and condition of the roof, to determine eligibility for coverage.
- Citizens may conduct inspections to verify the risk meets eligibility requirements.
- Roof coatings – such as acrylic, silicone, urethane, soy, elastomeric or other similar coatings used for waterproofing or UV protection – do not meet Citizens’ requirements for proof of roof replacement.
For more information, agents and credentialed agency staff can log in to the Agents website to review the Underwriting guidelines and other resources to help you service your customers:
- Select Personal > PR-M or PR-W and the appropriate policy type on the left-menu bar to access:
- Underwriting guidelines and to review the Roof Age and Condition rule
- Required Document Guides, in the Spotlight section on the right side of the page
- Select Training > Webinar Recordings to access Five Things You Need to Know about Citizens Q2: Roof Condition Recorded Webinar
- Select Training > Personal Job Aids to access Citizens’ learning resources:
- New-Business Submission Guide
- Uploading and Linking Documents
- Automated Loss History Data and Acceptable Proof of Repair Guide
- Home Condition Requirements
- Mobile Home Condition Requirements
- Required Document Guides, in the Learn More section on the right side of the page
- You also can select FAQs on the website’s top menu and enter +roof +covering or +roof +coating in the Search field.
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.