20220107 - Property Inspection Expansion - Public
Publicador de contenidos
Property Inspection Expansion
January 07, 2022
As announced in the June 28, 2021, Personal Lines Bulletin, Citizens expanded our property inspection program and increased the number of inspections. To align with the private market more closely, we are increasing the number of inspections again beginning in January 2022.
Citizens' Underwriters will order inspections for selected new-business and existing policies. These inspections are:
- Free to the policyholder
- Performed by third-party professional inspection companies
Type of Inspections
- Exterior-only inspections: The inspector will inspect the exterior of the dwelling, outbuildings and roof. No one needs to be present, but the inspector will need access to the entire exterior of the dwelling.
- Interior and exterior inspections require the inspector to enter the dwelling to inspect and take photos of the electrical panel, water heater, air handler, plumbing connections and the condition of the dwelling. If the policyholder is unable to be present for an interior inspection, they can designate a person 18 years old or older to allow access inside the dwelling.
To ensure the success of the inspection and a positive experience for the policyholder:
- PolicyCenter® will send the agent of record a Property Inspection Ordered activity when we order each inspection.
- Agents should verify the policyholder’s current contact information in PolicyCenter.
- The inspection company will contact the customer about the inspection.
- If the inspection company representative is unable to reach the policyholder, they will contact the agent for assistance.
- If the policyholder is unwilling to provide access to the property, or if the inspection company cannot contact them for scheduling, there may be further underwriting action, including cancellation or nonrenewal.
- The inspection results will not be sent to the policyholder; however, agents can access inspection results in PolicyCenter and discuss the inspection results with their customers.
For more information, log in to the Agents site, select FAQs from the top menu and enter:
- +Change +phone +number for directions on how to update a policyholder’s phone number and email address (FAQ 2353)
- +Inspection +results for information about how to complete the Inspection Results Response Required activity (FAQ 3797)
- +Ordered +inspection for information about Citizens-ordered inspections (FAQ 537)
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.