20211015 - New Eligibility Rules - Public
Web Content Display (Global)
New Eligibility Rules
October 15, 2021
Citizens is amending its eligibility rules with approval from the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) to make a property ineligible for coverage when authorities have determined it is unsafe for occupancy or it has substantial structural deficiencies.
The new rules address structural deficiencies and safety concerns and apply to new business and renewal policies effective on and after October 15, 2021.
Note: This change does not apply to mobile home policies.
New Underwriting Rules
Citizens added the following rules to the Underwriting Guidelines:
- Rule 208 Uninsurable Properties: A property is ineligible for coverage when inspections determine a property unsafe for occupancy or identify substantial structural deficiencies.
- Rule 210 Inspections: Language was added to specify that Citizens may require copies of inspections conducted by any state, county or local municipality for the purpose of determining safety for continued occupancy or to identify substantial structural deficiencies.
Citizens may require inspection reports as described in Rule 210 to verify eligibility for new-business risks. Stay tuned for information about inspection requirements for existing policies.
If the inspection reports are currently scheduled or pending completion, agents are encouraged to submit alternative documentation for consideration such as an Intent to Inspect contract from a qualified engineer or architect that includes the policyholder’s name, location address and indicates the inspection fee is paid. Include a note requesting an exception for the alternative document.
Agents and credentialed agency staff can log in to the Agents website to review the most recent Underwriting Guidelines and other resources to help you service your customers:
- Select Personal, then select PR-M or PR-W, and select the appropriate policy type on the left-menu bar. Look for the most recent version of the appropriate Underwriting Guidelines.
- Select Training to access Citizens’ learning resources. On the left-menu bar select Personal Job Aids to access:
- Look in the Spotlight section on the right side of these pages, and select the Required Document Guide for the appropriate policy type.
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.