Personal Lines Bulletin - Public
Web Content Display (Global)
Flood Insurance Requirements for Renewal Eligibility
January 27, 2023
As announced in the January 23 Personal Lines Bulletin: Flood Insurance Requirements for Citizens New Business, Citizens is updating our eligibility rules to comply with Senate Bill 2-A, passed by Florida legislators during the December 2022 Special Session. This communication covers requirements for existing policies to renew coverage with Citizens.
All existing personal residential policies renewing on or after July 1, 2023 – that include wind coverage and are located in the special flood hazard area as defined by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) – are required to have flood insurance.
Additionally, all impacted customers will be required to sign and submit a Policyholder Affirmation Regarding Flood Insurance (CIT FW01).
Under the new rule, an existing policyholder located in a special flood hazard area and whose policy includes wind coverage is required to secure flood coverage from the NFIP or a private insurance carrier at the following limits:
- Dwellings: Equal to or greater than Citizens’ separate Coverage A and Coverage C limits
- Condominium or unit owners: Equal to or greater than Citizens’ separate Coverage A and Coverage C limits
- Tenant contents: Equal to or greater than Citizens’ Coverage C limit
- Cooperative unit owners: Equal to or greater than Citizens’ Coverage C limit
If the above limits are not available from the NFIP, Citizens will accept the maximum coverage amount for which the insured is eligible. Maximum NFIP limits:
- Regular Program: $250,000 Coverage A, $100,000 Coverage C
- Emergency Program: $35,000 Coverage A, $10,000 Coverage C
For renewing policies effective July 1, 2023, and later, you will need to review your book of business to identify your affected customers and the action(s) required to ensure they will be eligible for policy renewal.
To demonstrate compliance with the flood requirement, all policyholders meeting the conditions above are required to submit the following documents:
To assist you with managing policyholders impacted by this change, please look for an upcoming job aid that will outline the process, timelines and requirements that will be necessary to renew.
- An activity will be created on the agent of record’s desktop identifying policies that will require action to meet this requirement.
- The website, job aids and underwriting manuals will be updated as soon as possible.
- Policies with windstorm or hail coverage excluded are not required to purchase flood coverage.
- Risks ineligible for an NFIP flood policy may be eligible for a Citizens policy, excluding wind coverage, with acceptable documentation supporting NFIP ineligibility such as a declination or cancellation notice.
Agents and credentialed agency staff can register to attend a free webinar, 2023 Personal Lines Flood Insurance Requirements, on January 31 or February 2. Log in to the Agents site and select Training > Live Education, and then select the appropriate link to register.
Agents and consumers may visit FloodSmart.gov or the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website for information about flood insurance and finding a flood insurance provider. Plan ahead, as there is typically a waiting period for a flood policy to go into effect.
Log in to the Agents site, and:
- Select Personal > PR-M or PR-W, and then select the appropriate policy type on the left-menu bar and look in the Spotlight section on the right side of the page for the various Product Guides and Required Document Guides.
- Select Training > Personal Job Aids to access Citizens’ learning resources:
- Select FAQs on the menu at the top of each page. Enter +flood in the Search field.
Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.