Clarification to Roof Rules; Removal of $60,000 Coverage A Limit for Mobile Home Dwelling Policies
October 26, 2018
Citizens’ underwriting guidelines have been updated to clarify roof eligibility rules and also to remove the $60,000 Coverage A limit for mobile home dwelling policies. These changes are effective December 1, 2018, for new-business and renewal policies. The changes do not affect rates and are detailed below.
Clarification to Roof Rules
The Roof Condition and Roof Covering Age sections in the manuals have been combined and renamed to Roof Age and Condition. The following apply to all policy types except condominium and tenant contents risks:
- Updated definitions of ineligible roof conditions and remaining useful life provide more clarity.
- Updated explanations clarify that, to constitute a roof replacement or roof update, the roofing surface material must be 100 percent fully replaced.
- Examples of acceptable documentation of completed work include:
- Approved building permit indicating completed work, which can be an electronic version from the applicable jurisdiction website
- Other proof of completed work such as a detailed work invoice indicating the work was completed and paid in full
- In addition to licensed roofing contractors, general contractors and home inspectors can conduct roof inspections.
- Citizens may conduct inspections to verify eligibility.
- For more information, refer to the Resources section below.
Removal of $60,000 Coverage Limit for Mobile Home Dwelling Policies
For Mobilehome Dwelling Property 1 - Basic Form (MDP-1) policies, the $60,000 limit to Coverage A for owner-occupied mobile homes has been removed. (The Coverage A limit for these policies is $250,000, or $700,000 if in the wind area for policies with wind.) Also, risks are eligible for a MDP-1 policy only if underwriting rules specifically require a mobile home dwelling policy rather than a mobile homeowners policy due to loss history or other underwriting considerations.
For more information about the changes, log in to the Agents site:
- For updated underwriting guidelines manuals in the Personal section for each line of business
- From the website’s top menu, select Search → Search Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and enter:
- Roof Condition
Agent Bulletins are provided for historical purposes only and have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals and by logging in, then selecting Search → Search Frequently Asked Questions.