Carousel News

Personal Lines Bulletin

Citizens Highlights

Navigation Menu


Web Content Display (Global)

Personal Lines Bulletin

Asset Publisher

Clarification of February 1, 2022, Eligibility Rules

To assist agents with submitting new-business risks, Citizens is providing additional information regarding eligibility rules announced in the December 3, 2021, Personal Lines Bulletin.

Owner-occupied risks must be written on a homeowners (HO) policy form unless there is an underwriting rule that prevents it. These rules apply to new-business applications with effective dates on or after February 1, 2022.

Policy Form Eligibility Rule Owner-Occupied Risks
HO-8 Rule 206.A, 112 and 202

Risks meeting the conditions outlined below must be written on a Citizens Homeowners 8 – Modified Coverage Form (HO-8) and may be submitted bound if all other requirements are met.

Applicants who have sustained either of the following:

  • Two or more nonweather water‐related losses within 36 months
  • Three or more nonweather water‐related losses within 60 months


  • HO-8 limits for home age and Coverage A do not apply for these risks.
  • The Citizens Homeowners 3- Special Form (CIT HO-3) Coverage A limits will be available on these risks.
  • These risks are no longer eligible for a Dwelling Property 1 – Basic Form (CIT DP-1) and continue to be ineligible for the Dwelling Property 3 – Special Form (CIT DP-3).
HO-6 Rule 202.A-3 Condo risks are not eligible for a CIT DP-1- Condominium Unit Policy or Dwelling Property 3 Policy-Unit Owners. They must be written on a Homeowners 6- Unit-Owners Form (CIT HO-6) unless an underwriting rule prevents it.
HO-3, HO-8 Rule 206.B New-business risks that are over 20 years old with polybutylene piping are not insurable by Citizens.


For more information, log in to the Agents website and select Personal > PR-M or PR-W and (on the right side of the page):

  1. Refer to the appropriate Product Guides
  2. Select the most recent version of the Underwriting Guidelines under Manuals

You also can select FAQs on the website’s top menu and enter Loss Frequency or Polybutylene in the Search field, or click on the following links:

  • 1713 Will Citizens insure dwellings with polybutylene pipes?
  • 2410 Is a risk with three or more prior losses eligible for a Homeowners Policy?

Legal Disclaimer

Citizens provides agent communications online for historical purposes only, and the communications have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals, and by logging in and accessing our FAQs, which are available from the top of any page on our website.