Depopulation Choices Program
The new Depopulation Choices Program for personal lines features increased policyholder choice and a simplified process designed to improve customer satisfaction with the depopulation process. Key features include:
- More Choices – You will be informed of all private-market assumption offers available to you through the Policyholder Choice Program and will be able to choose your preferred coverage option or remain with Citizens.
- More Information You will receive coverage worksheets and estimated renewal premiums for all available assumption offers and your Citizens policy.
- Streamlined Communications – Citizens administers all official communications.
- More Agent Support – Citizens is providing enhanced information to your agent about your available offers so they can better guide you through the depopulation process and even submit your choices on your behalf.
How It Works
Policyholder Choice Letter
If one or more private market companies select your policy for depopulation, you will receive a policyholder choice letter from Citizens informing you that those companies would like to remove your policy from Citizens and assume coverage of your property. The letter includes:
- Policyholder Choice Form – Lists all available offers and their estimated renewal premiums, along with the estimated renewal premium for your Citizens policy. Citizens must receive your choice by the date indicated on the form.
- Coverage Worksheets – Provide details of all available private-market assumption offers and your Citizens policy. The worksheets will help you evaluate and make an informed decision about the best coverage option for your property.
You will have until the due date indicated in your Policyholder Choice letter to submit your coverage choice to Citizens either by:
- Having your agent submit your choice to Citizens on your behalf
- Submitting your Policyholder Choice Selection to Citizens online
If Citizens does not receive your choice by the date indicated on your Policyholder Choice Form, Citizens will assign your policy to one of the private-market companies that offered to assume it.
If you chose to accept a private-market offer of coverage, your policy will be assigned to the company you selected, and, in most cases, will be assumed on the assumption date indicated in your policyholder choice letter. If your policy is assumed, you will receive a Notice of Assumption and Nonrenewal and Certificate of Assumption from Citizens.
If you choose to remain with Citizens, you will receive a letter confirming that your policy will remain with Citizens. You may receive future assumption offers and must respond to all offers if you wish to remain with Citizens.
If Citizens does not receive your choice within 30 days, your policy will be assigned to one of the private-market companies that selected your policy for assumption. If your policy is assumed, you will receive a Notice of Assumption and Nonrenewal and Certificate of Assumption from Citizens.
There no longer is a 30-day post-assumption period during which you can return to Citizens. Once an assumption occurs, the policy transfer is final.
Sometimes an assumption does not take place. This can happen for a variety of reasons. If you accept an assumption offer from a private-market company and your policy is not assumed, you will receive a letter from Citizens notifying you that your policy will remain with Citizens. You will be eligible to receive future assumption offers.
Additional information and resources, including sample letters and forms, are available on the Depopulation Resources page. You also can call your agent or Citizens’ Customer Care Center at 866.411.2742.
Policyholder Choice Selection
If you received a Policyholder Choice letter, you can submit your preferred coverage option here.
To submit your choice, you will need the following information:
- Policy number
- Registration code provided in your Policyholder Choice Form
Evaluating Coverage Options
- Your agent is your best resource for information about your coverage needs. Reach out to your agent for help evaluating your coverage options and submitting your choice to Citizens.
- Evaluate all available offers carefully. In many cases, the coverage offered may be more comprehensive than is available through Citizens.
- Private-market policyholders can be subject to paying a much lower assessment if Citizens does not have the resources to pay claims following a major hurricane or series of storms.
Remaining with Citizens
- If you wish to remain with Citizens, Citizens must receive your choice by the deadline indicated on your Policyholder Choice Form. If no choice is received, Citizens will assign your policy to one of the private-market companies that offered to assume it.
- There no longer is a 30-day post assumption period during which you can return to Citizens. Once the assumption occurs, the policy transfer is final.
- If you chose to remain with Citizens, you may receive additional assumption offers. You must respond to each offer to continue to remain with Citizens.
- Florida law requires that Citizens submit renewal policies to its Property Insurance Clearinghouse to determine renewal eligibility. Rejecting an assumption offer will not exempt you from the clearinghouse.