Know your evacuation zone, local shelter locations and evacuation routes before storm season arrives.
Understand Evacuation Orders
- Recommended evacuation – Conditions may be dangerous.
- Mandatory evacuation – Conditions are serious. Florida law requires you leave impacted areas.
Prepare Your Pets
Identify pet-friendly shelters, and take a pet emergency bag. Pack any pet IDs, vaccination information, and photos of you and your pet.
Bring Emergency Items
These can include a first-aid kit, medicines and prescriptions, IDs; copies of important documents, baby food and diapers, toiletries, games, flashlights, batteries, blankets and sleeping bags.
Activate Your Family Communication Plan
Make sure everyone knows how or where to contact each other if you become separated. Also call your out-of-area contacts to let them know you are safe.
Your safety is Citizens’ first priority. If your home is damaged, make sure you and your family are safe and your property is secure. If your property is unsafe, do not try to enter your home.
Call Citizens First
As soon as you become aware of or suspect damage, report your claim to Citizens. Citizens offers two convenient optiond for reporting your claim – online and by phone. Both are available 24/7/365.
You can report a claim to Citizens even before you know the full extent of damage. There is no cost to report a claim. Citizens will work with you to make sure any covered damage is repaired quickly and correctly.
Report Your Claim Online
You can report your claim by computer or smartphone through myPolicy, Citizens’ online, policyholder self-service tool. You can use myPolicy to submit a claim online and to view your policy, claims and billing information. You also can make payments under certain conditions.
- To report a claim through myPolicy, you will need a myPolicy account. Information about how to register for myPolicy is available on our myPolicy page.
- Once you logged into your myPolicy account, navigate to the Claims tab and click the blue Report a Claim button to start your claim.
Report Your Claim by Phone
Citizens’ toll-free claims hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A real person, not a computer, will take your claim and start you on the road to recovery.
Claims Hotline – 866.411.2742
When you call, a friendly customer service representative will ask you for the following information:
- Your policy number
- Your contact information, including any temporary addresses or phone numbers where you can be reached if you have been displaced
- Damage description (example: tree fell on roof, lightning struck house)
- Mortgage company information (if applicable)
Call even if you are missing some of this information. Citizens will be able to assist you.