2015 Storm Season Information
Maio 26, 2015 - IE #021-15
The following information is provided to assist you and your staff in preparing for the 2015 storm season.
How You Can Help
The information you gather prior to storm season will help with efficient claims processing and will improve customer service in the case of a catastrophic event:
- Verify and update policyholder contact and policy information, including:
- Mailing address and phone numbers
- Named party(ies) on the policy
- Mortgagee(s) (if applicable)
- Review your Citizens book of business to ensure that policyholders have adequate coverage and appropriate deductibles. We can provide the agency principal with a book-of-business listing within one business day after a request. Submit your request via Manage myAgency on the Agents section of our website.
After a storm, instruct policyholders to:
- Report the claim immediately
- Take photos of storm damage
- Make temporary repairs as necessary to protect property from further damage
- Keep detailed receipts
Under Citizens' binding suspension rule:
No application for new coverage or endorsement for increased coverage may be bound, written or issued, or monies received, regardless of effective date, when a tropical storm or hurricane watch or warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for any part of the state of Florida.
- Policyholders: Contact our 24/7, toll-free Claims Reporting Center at 866.411.2742.
- Agents can report a first notice of loss (FNOL) in the following ways:
- Personal line policies that are active in ePAS: In PolicyCenter®, select Desktop > Actions > New ePAS FNOL. Complete the fields, and select Submit. An email with the claim information will be sent to the agent within 24 hours.
- All other policies: Locate the policy in PolicyCenter and select Actions > New FNOL. Complete the fields, and select Submit. To retrieve the claim number and adjuster’s name, wait a moment, and then click Claims.
- You also can report a loss by contacting our 24/7, toll-free Claims Reporting Center at 866.411.2742. A claims representative will call the policyholder with the adjuster’s contact information.
New Catastrophe Field
A Catastrophe field has been added on the New FNOL screen in PolicyCenter. You can indicate whether the loss is related to a catastrophic event by entering the loss date, selecting Search and choosing the appropriate event from the search results.
Figure 1: Catastrophe field on the New FNOL screen
The Catastrophe field is not a required field; however, if the Loss Date and Loss Cause information relates to a catastrophic event, you will receive a message to select the appropriate event.
Emergency Operations Center
If Florida is impacted by a storm, Citizens may set up one or more emergency operations centers (EOCs) as needed to provide immediate response to policyholders. Agents will be notified once a site is determined. EOC staff will:
- Process FNOLs
- Make advanced payments for additional living expenses when warranted
- Answer questions and offer general assistance
Connect With Us
Don’t be the last to know! Get the latest news from Citizens by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter @Citizens_Agents.
For more information on claims reporting and storm preparation see our online resources:
- Claims Center
- Claims FAQs
- First Notice of Loss job aids
- Knowledge Base: Search by key words FNOL or Claims
- Storm Center
Agent Bulletins are provided for historical purposes only and have not been updated to include any changes that may have been made after publication. Agents can find the latest information by reviewing the applicable underwriting manuals and by logging in, then selecting Search → Search Frequently Asked Questions.