There are many inspection companies and inspectors throughout Florida that you can choose to conduct a wind mitigation inspection on your behalf. The following are the minimum qualifications for wind mitigation inspectors as required by law and the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation:
An Authorized Inspector
must hold an active license as a:
- Home inspector licensed under Section 468.8314, Florida Statutes, and who has completed the statutory number of hours of hurricane mitigation training approved by the Construction Industry Licensing Board and a proficiency exam
- Building code inspector certified under Section 468.607, Florida Statutes
- General, building or residential contractor licensed under Section 489.111, Florida Statutes
- Professional engineer licensed under Section 471.015, Florida Statutes
- Professional architect licensed under Section 481.213, Florida Statutes
- Any other individual or entity recognized by the insurer as possessing the necessary qualifications to properly complete a uniform mitigation verification form pursuant to Section 627.711(2), Florida Statutes
Any inspector meeting these minimum qualifications can conduct your wind mitigation inspection and complete the required Florida Office of Insurance Regulation Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection (OIR-B1-1802)
For more information about forms used for wind mitigation inspections results, including printable copies of the Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection (OIR-B1-1802)
form, visit Mitigation Forms
You may choose any qualified inspector to perform your wind mitigation inspection
. As an additional service to our policyholders and insurance consumers, however, Citizens has endorsed highly qualified inspection companies.
In addition to meeting the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation's minimum licensing standards, Citizens-endorsed inspectors have passed criminal background checks, and Citizens' endorsed inspection companies provide, and their inspectors are required to attend, annual industry training courses.
Selecting a Citizens-endorsed inspector to perform your inspection does not guarantee that you will receive wind mitigation discounts or that your home will not be re-inspected to verify that wind mitigation discounts were applied correctly.
The Citizens-endorsed wind mitigation inspection companies are: