Coronavirus - Public
Coronavirus Response Overview
Citizens Is Here for You
Citizens has the utmost concern for the health and safety of our policyholders, employees, agents, adjusters and vendors. We are closely monitoring the latest developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) health risk and will follow guidance from public health officials and government agencies as we make ongoing assessments about how best to support our customers, employees and the larger Florida community through this public health crisis.
In these challenging times, Citizens is committed to continuing the policy and claims support our customers have come to expect. In observance of social distancing recommendations, Citizens has encouraged its employees to work remotely, but we do not anticipate interruptions of vital services at this time. We have confidence that the year-round disaster and contingency planning that allows us to carry out our mission in the wake of physical catastrophes will help us ensure that we can continue to provide high levels of service to our customers now.
We encourage you to help our employees participate in social distancing practices by taking advantage of the following convenient online tools and resources:
- myPolicy, Citizens' smartphone-friendly, policyholder self-service tool
- Submit a claim online
- View your policy, claims and billing information
- Submit premium payments
- Online payment and pay-by-phone (866.411.2742) options
- Email us
Although we encourage you to take advantage of our free and convenient online customer and claims service options, our toll-free phone lines remain open and available to serve customers who prefer to contact us by phone at 866.411.2742.
- Customer Care Center – 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET, M-F
- Report a Claim – 24/7
- Pay-by-Phone – Automated, 24/7
Payments, Cancellations and Policy Documentation
Citizens understands the extraordinary circumstances many of our policyholders are facing in light of COVID-19, and we are committed to doing what we can to help them get through this unprecedented event. Based on recommendations from the Governor’s Office, the Office of Insurance Regulation and Department of Financial Services, Citizens has put in place the following emergency guidelines and procedures:
- Policyholders may submit payments after their due date.
- Effective on or after March 27, 2020, we have stopped processing policy cancellations and will not send nonrenewal notices until further notice. For policies cancelled or nonrenewed on or after March 1, we are sending letters to policyholders with instructions for how they can request that their policy be reinstated.
- Bound applications for new business that are submitted without payment are not included in these provisions and will be cancelled back to the original requested effective date.
- Underwriting rules have been relaxed to allow more time to submit required documentation. Contact your agent for more information.
Additional information is available in our FAQs.
Policy Services and Managed Repair Program
Whenever possible, Citizens is using technology to minimize policyholder contact. When Citizens employees or Citizens vendors and their business partners (service providers) need to make in-person contact, we have established procedures to minimize contact and protect everyone involved.
- Citizens employees and service providers have been reminded to practice recognized health precautions, including frequent handwashing and social distancing. They have been asked to stay home if they feel ill or have had any contact with someone who may have been exposed.
- Citizens employees and service providers have been advised to work efficiently to minimize time spent in your home. You have the option of waiting outside your home while service is performed.
- In some cases, inspections and other services can be deferred. If necessary, we will reschedule an appointment with you for a later time.
- You remain responsible for the duties under your policy, such as retaining damaged property for our inspection, taking pictures of damages, etc. Failure to do so could result in a denial of your claim.
Header - Spotlight
Coronavirus - Adjuster Updates
Coronavirus-related Information for adjusters is available under Claims Governance in the News section of the Adjusters site. Communications are available on the following topics:
April 15 - New Process for Bound, Unpaid Policies
April 2 - Partial-Fee Invoicing
March 30 - New Procedures for Inspections
March 24 - Remote Claims Adjusting
March 12 - Coronavirus Workplace Protocols
Coronavirus - Agent Updates
Citizens is committed to continuing our agency, policy and claims support. We are available to connect virtually – by phone, video conferencing and webinar – to continue conducting business on our customers’ behalf. For additional information, refer to the following:
Coronavirus - Policyholder Updates
Coronavirus - Vendor Updates
In response to the coronavirus, Citizens is working diligently to protect our policyholders and employees and to mitigate possible risks of disruption to our business. As we continue to implement responsive measures, vendors can find updates in the communications below.