Recent News

Hurricane FAQs

The following FAQs are for informational purposes only and intended only for our personal lines customers. Answers to specific Irma-related questions can be found on the Hurricane Irma FAQ page.

These FAQs do not contain all coverages, conditions, limitations or exclusions that may arise in a tropical storm or hurricane. They do not amend or change any of the actual provisions of your policy, nor do they imply there is coverage other than what is specified in your actual policy and its Declarations and endorsements.

Refer to your policy for exact coverage description and specifics. 

Report a Claim Repairs
Coverage                     Payments and Deductibles
Claims Follow-Up Search Additional FAQs


Report a Claim

1. How do I report a claim?

Call the Citizens Claims Hotline at 866.411.2742. Trained professionals are available to take your claim information 24/7.

Additional Resources

2. Should I file a claim if damage is minimal or I don’t know if the damage is covered?

Yes. A Citizens claims adjuster will determine whether the damage is covered.

3. Will Citizens penalize me for filing a claim due to damage from a hurricane?

No. Your Citizens policy cannot be cancelled or nonrenewed due to filing a claim for an Act of God, such as a hurricane. Citizens will not raise your rates due to filing of these claims. In addition, there is no cost to report a claim. 

4. Is there a time limit by which I must report my claim?

You should report your claim as soon as possible. You can report a claim even if you don’t know the full extent of the damages.

There are policy provisions regarding when homeowners and dwelling (HO-3, HO-6 and DP-3) policyholders can begin permanent repairs.

5. I can’t find my policy. How do I get a copy?

There are several options for obtaining a copy of your policy documents:

  • Email Citizens using the Existing Policy option on our Contact Us page. Include as much information in the form as possible.
  • Call Citizens 866.411.2742, weekdays, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET.
  • Contact your agent for a copy. 

6. Who can report a claim?

Anyone who can tell us about the damage can report a claim 

7. My home is not fit to live in. What can I do?

Make sure you and your family are safe and, if it is safe to do so, secure your property from further damage. If your property is unsafe, do not try to access it. Allow our trained adjusters to inspect and determine the damage.

As soon as you are able, Call Citizens First on our 24/7 Claims Hotline at 866.411.2742. You also can visit us at one of our Catastrophe Response Centers.

When you talk to your Citizens representative, make sure to give them an alternate mailing address, and if appropriate, an alternate phone number where you can be contacted. 

Your policy may provide Additional Living Expenses (ALE) coverage, which helps pay for expenses above and beyond your usual living expenses, if your home is deemed not fit to live in due to damages sustained by a covered loss. 

Additional Resources

After a Loss
Florida Department of Emergency Management
Recovery Resources

8. How can I help make the claims process go more smoothly?

Report your claim as soon as you become aware of or suspect any damage.  

After your loss, when it is safe to do so:

  • Take photos and/or video of property damage.
  • Take reasonable emergency measures to protect the property from further damage or prevent unwanted entry to the property, if it is safe for you to do so. 
  • If possible, retain the damaged property for Citizens to inspect.
  • If you make any repairs or have any expenses associated with your loss, keep detailed receipts.

9. My mobile home is destroyed. What are my options?

Call the Citizens Claims Hotline at 866.411.2742. Trained professionals are available to take your claim information 24/7. You also can visit one of our Catastrophe Response Centers for in-person assistance. 

Your Citizens claims adjuster will work with you to determine the severity of your loss. If your mobile home is completely destroyed, you must provide your home's title to Citizens before the claim can be settled.