Citizens Property Insurance Corporation was created by the Florida Legislature in August 2002 as a not-for-profit, tax-exempt, government entity. Its mission is to provide insurance protection to Florida policyholders who are entitled to but are unable to find property insurance coverage in the private market.
Citizens customers include Florida home, business and condominium owners, as well as Florida property owners who come to Citizens seeking coverage. Citizens is funded by policyholder premiums and, additionally, if its surplus is depleted in the wake of a particularly devastating storm or series of storms, Florida law requires Citizens to levy assessments on most Florida property-casualty insurance policyholders until any deficit is eliminated. These financial responsibilities drive Citizens' commitment to quality customer service and rigorously sound financial management.
Citizens operates according to statutory requirements created by the Florida Legislature and a Plan of Operation
approved by the Florida Financial Services Commission. The corporation is governed by a Board of Governors that administers its Plan of Operation
. Florida's Governor, President of the Florida Senate, Speaker of the Florida House and the state's Chief Financial Officer each appoint two members to the Board.
Citizens has offices in Tallahassee, Jacksonville and Tampa. Tallahassee is the corporate headquarters for the organization. The Jacksonville and Tampa offices provide policy services and underwriting, claims, and customer support.
To efficiently provide property insurance protection in Florida to those who are, in good faith, entitled to obtain coverage through the private market but are unable to do so, while also providing levels of customer service that are comparable to the standards of the private market.
As a government entity fulfilling a public purpose, Citizens aspires to provide insurance products and services that meet the needs of Florida property owners who are, in good faith, entitled to obtain coverage through the private market but are unable to do so. We strive to reduce the financial burden on all Floridians by being good stewards of the premium funds entrusted to us. In all that we do, we will conduct ourselves with the highest level of ethical behavior.
In accomplishing our mission, we embrace the following values:
- Public Service: We contribute to the public health, safety and welfare of our customers and the state.
- Integrity: We embrace our values and code of ethics with pride.
- Respect: We will respect one another and those we serve.
- Courtesy: We will be polite and display respectful behavior at all times.
- Responsiveness: We will provide quality service to our customers that is comparable to the standards of the private market.
- Fairness: Our overriding culture is to always do the right thing.
- Operate as an efficient residual market.
- Ensure a strong financial operating environment.
- Operate a streamlined, scalable and customer-focused organization.
- Protect the public interest and maintain the integrity of the corporation.